Archive for January, 2016

Pabili Po: What we’ve been up to for My First Game Jam and beyond.

Pabili Po: What we’ve been up to for My First Game Jam and beyond.

“My First Game Jam” has come and gone, and… we didn’t manage to finish our demo. But we’re looking forward instead of down, because it got us to start something, at least! Here, I wanted to share a few of the things we managed to test in our first foray into gamemaking.

Why did we try to join this jam?

I’ve always wanted to learn how to code for games, or at least make some mini-games for fun in my spare time. Since late last year, we’ve been itching to do a game that incorporated items from our daily life as Filipinos… so we saw this 2-week jam as the perfect opportunity to try making our first game and make some sprite art for items.

I recently picked up RPG Maker 2003 during the Steam Holiday Sale for a little less than $3 (dang!), so I’ve been poking at the program and figuring out how it works. Due to its age, it has its limitations, for sure, compared to RPG Maker VX Ace or RPG Maker MV (but alas, I had not the budget for the newer ones), but I consider picking up the basic version as a stepping stone into learning the more complicated updates. I have a tendency to get overwhelmed when I try to learn a Big New Thing such as programs – I feel that sticking to a more rudimentary version would help me focus on understanding the basics vs. making something extremely complicated. Fea

Not that I haven’t run into some coding errors that made me want to whimper – but hey, I’m learning!

I’d like to give you guys more on the story, but I don’t want to spoil it because a lot of the fun is how absurd we’re trying to be about the plot… ;)

Without further ado, I’d like to present our work in progress, tentatively titled “Pabili Po!”

Concept Sketches!

Screenshots!

What’s next for this game?

We took a break in the meantime because of life, but I told my partner we should focus on using sketches so that if we decided to change anything in the game, we could still easily test different iterations out. I was afraid that making pixels out of everything could make us feel disappointed about scrapping stuff…

This game is also looking larger than we intended, even though we were planning on finishing at least the first mini-boss battle. I think most of it is due to me having to learn how to work with RPG Maker 2003. I’ve been contemplating waiting for another sale and grabbing a copy of the latest RPG Maker MV, but I’ve read that it now uses 64×64 sprites and not 16×16. I’m not entirely sure if we can hack the game to use 16×16 sprites, which we’re fond of.

We’ll be sure to update you all in case we come up with any more updates to the game. In the meantime, I think we’ll try working on mini-games limited to 1-3 screens so as not to overwhelm ourselves. :)

Thanks for reading!!!

January 24, 2016 0 comments Read More